That's a Wrap!
Thank you all for another amazing year of Take the Roof Off Winter! It was a tough one with a very late start to the season - but thats Nova Scotian weather for you but it didn't stop you! The creativity we saw and the fun that was had, it was clear you all made the most out of it!
We would love to hear any feedback you have on this year's campaign so we can make next year even better. Fill out the anonymous feedback form here: https://form.jotform.com/230465146192050
Take the Roof Off Winter (TTROW)
Recreation Nova Scotia and Make Your Move's Winter Activity Campaign
#TTROW is back again with the Healthy Tomorrow Foundation and their Make Your Move campaign bringing some interactive, resourceful winter fun to Nova Scotians of all ages. The aim is to help improve Nova Scotians' health and quality of life by getting active during the winter months and taking the roof off winter!
Winter Fun Day - February 20, 2023 - CANCELLED
Meet us at 806 Bissett Road at 10:30 am this Heritage day for a guided 4km hike (or bring your snowshoes!) of the Salt Marsh Trail!
There will be hot chocolate and fun, and in recognition of the 2023 Heritage Day Honouree, Rita Joe, we will be hosting a poetry contest!
Rita Joe was a Mi'kmaq poet and songwriter, who was often referred to as the Poet Laureate of the Mi'kmaq people. In her honour we want to hear your short poem (one entry per person) about winter recreation and/or what being active in winter means to you!Enter you poem here for a chance to win!
This year, win PRIZES by participating in the winter activity Bingo!
There will be two chances to win this year - play once in January and play again in February!
**See below for some resources that might help you during some of the activities
January Bingo: Begins January 9, 2023, and runs until midnight January 30, 2023
February Bingo: Begins January 30, 2023, and runs until midnight February 20, 2023
Complete fun challenges for the chance to win 1 of 2 prizes!
How to Enter
With a hopes for a better winter in February, we're going to give January's activities another go! Find your bingo cards below with some new activities and some old returning ones!
- Print your pdf February's Bingo sheet (January re-do) (23 KB) or play online at Take The Roof Off Winter January/February 2023 (Make sure you bookmark your card!)
- Complete 1 line any way, or 4 corners and the middle square
- Take pictures of yourself completing each challenge
- Submit your pictures and Bingo card via the digital link (bottom right-hand corner, click share) or email it to
- Make sure you're following Recreation Nova Scotia and Make Your Move on social!
- Facebook: Make Your Move
- Facebook: Recreation Nova Scotia
- Instagram: Recreation Nova Scotia
- Instagram: Make Your Move
See how others are having fun by using the hashtag #TTROW
By entering the contest, entrants agree that photos submitted can be used by Recreation Nova Scotia for communications/marketing purposes.
- How to make ice bubbles
- How to make rainbow orbs
- How to make ice cube sculptures
- How to make a campfire or buddy burner
Important Dates and Community Events
- January to March - Guided Hike Series with Hike NS
- January to March - Winter Wednesday in Cape Breton
- January 9 - January Bingo Begins!
- January 28 - Community Winter Fest at Gordon R Snow Community Centre in Fall River
- January 30 - January Bingo ends. Submissions must be sent in by midnight!
- January 30 - February Bingo Begins!
- Feburary (Happening all Month) - Winter Walk Day Events with Ecology Action Centre
- Feburary 2 to 4 - The 16th Annual Milford Meltdown
- February 3 - January Winners announced at noon
- February 3 to 5 - West Hants Winter Carnival
- February 20 - Winter Fun Day! Join us at Salt Marsh Trail! (Part of Hike NS Guided Hike Series)
- February 20 - February Bingo ends. Submissions must be sent in by midnight!
- February 24 - February Winners (including poetry contest) announced at noon
** Have an event? Use the hastag #TTROW to joint the fun and let us know by emailing
Check out some of this year's participants! Looks like they had fun!
Will you join in?!