Newcomers Leadership Training Program
- Published: November 23 2018 15:51
A partnership of Nova Scotia Lifesaving Society, Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS) and YMCA Centre for Immigrant Programs
We’re excited to offer the Newcomers Leadership Training Program through the support of the Cultural Innovation Fund. This aquatics leadership program is designed for newcomers to Halifax and surrounding areas, in partnership with the Nova Scotia Lifesaving Society, Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS) and the YMCA Centre for Immigrant Programs.
This program has four main outcomes:
- To provide training and employment opportunities for newcomers
- To increase workplace diversity in the field of Aquatics and Recreation
- To reduce the risk of drowning in newcomer populations
- To foster future community leaders
The Newcomers Leadership Training Program takes place between October 2018 and June 2019 and is open to 12 male and 12 female candidates ages 16-24.
Those accepted will participate in eight phases of training including swimming proficiency, Bronze Medallion certification, Bronze Cross certification, Standard First Aid certification and National Lifeguard certification. The program concludes with employment preparedness sessions to assist the participants in finding jobs locally.
All participants that qualify will be invited to participate and complete the following:
- Object Recovery: Recover object from the bottom of the pool at two meters depth
- Entries: Roll entry into deep water
- Surface Support: Tread water for 2 minutes
- Endurance Challenge: Swim 100 meters non-stop
To apply to the Newcomers Leadership Training Program, please complete the pdf application form (311 KB) .
Deadline extended to Saturday, December 1st, 2018.